Thursday, September 17, 2015

Updated cabinets

I have to 2 shelving units in my “Blue room” that we use to store random items.

 I decided it was time to add some doors to cover some of the clutter within and add visual interest.

Supplies Used

I used high density fiber board instead of wood because it is lighter and less expensive.

I measured all odd shaped outlines of the shelving unit’s compartments and used a ruler to draw the pattern on the fiber board.

My husband cut out all the “doors” using a circular saw

Once I had all the pieces I painted them black (2 coats)

Once they were completely dry, I used masking/painters tape and made in random line patterns

Then painted them white (2 coats)

I pulled off the tape, and then painted all the edges black.

I used screwed in the self-closing flush cabinet hinges to doors

and then mount the doors to the interior of the cabinet

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Entryway / Mudroom

There is a tiny vestibule between my front door and main living area.  Its about 5 1/2 x 5 1/2, with both doors centered on opposite walls.

 Finding functional storage that fit was be tricky.
I purchased the  Ikea Children's Odda storage unit that combines a rolling hamper, drawers, and a clothes tree. This unit met my exact need for stylish compact storage and seating.  
For wall decor I purchased a canvas print  and arranged 5 Ikea malm mirrors over the top and along the right side of it. 
To add visual interest, as well as functionality, I replicated the same style of the "clothes tree" and made 2 wall mounted "hooks" for the wall adjacent to the storage unit. 
I mounted  an Ikea Billdal Mirror on the wall across from the unit and placed an Ikea FÖRÄNDRAD Vase, that I spray painetd black, with a smycka Gladiolus flower under it. On the storage bench I placed 2 cushions (2 inner cushions covered in Ikea Nils Eslöv Black/White pattern )

Vision Board

Floor Plan
Final Product

Friday, April 10, 2015

Kitchen Update

My kitchen was in desperate need of updating!

When we first moved in the walls were all beige and worn, there was a white fridge and the rest of the appliances were black. I used stone contact paper as "back splash", painted the walls green, and added a Tuscan Retreat wall border and window valance

After 6 years it was definitely time for a change!

painted the walls a dark Chocolate Brown (with 2 kids and 2 large dogs the walls get a lot of marks, especially on the lower half). I simply replaced the old wooden knobs with Antique Brass Knobs and installed Smart Tile Back splash. I built a custom kitchen counter top and storage unit and incorporated the same Smart Tiles and Antique Brass Knobs. I ordered 2 large poster prints and added a Greek Key marble wall border over the cabinets to lighten up the kitchen and add contrast to the dark walls. And purchased a wine rack that both cleared the top of the fridge and is a nice vertical interest piece to the wall. 
Vision Board

I am very pleased with the kitchen update!


Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Custom Kitchen Counter Top and Storage

I wanted to update and create more counter top area.

For this Expedit/ Lekman/ Linnmon hack I used the supplies pictured

I bought 2 Linnmon counter tops and sawed one of them to complete the desired length of 67” when joined together. I marked the actual expedit counter width (so once mounted it lays flush on top) and used 2 flat braces to join them together.

I then covered the merged counter tops in marble contact paper and secured the counter top to the expedit using 4 “L” braces at each corner at the front and back of the unit. To cover the silver “L” braces from showing on the front of the unit I simply used black electrical tape. Once the counter top was secured I used peel and stick marble finish floor tile on the top of the counter for a durable heat resistant counter surface. Being that there is a baseboard heater on the wall that the new counter will be in front of, I installed a total of 8 Flat "L" braces to the back of the unit to stop the Lekman boxes from sliding past the unit to the wall.

I covered the front of the Lekman boxes with the same Smart tiles I installed as the back splash in my kitchen. I used a box cutter to cut off any excess off the edges. I then used screw to poke a hole through the middle square opening of the Lekman and used fiberboard that I stacked and taped together as a spacer/washer for the Antique Brass knob pull.

I am beyond pleased with my new 
custom counter top and storage unit!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Eyesore No More!

To cover up the HIDEOUS built in AC unit in my living room wall I installed a KVARTAL panel bracket system and a large  poster.

I mounted the KVARTAL wall hardware and single track rail above the unit.

I ordered a large poster print, to be used as the “panel” with the KVARTAL top and bottom rail, and mounted it to the single track rail.

Now, whenever  the AC isn't in use I can slide the poster in front of it. 

It is a great graphic piece of art in addition to FINALLY getting rid of the eyesore!